Vision and Values at Sandhill Primary
When our children leave Sandhill, they will be fully prepared for the next stage of their learning journey by being the best version of themselves. They will be confident communicators through developing their love of language. Literature will be at the heart of everything that they do as they experience the wider world through the use of high-quality texts. They will have an inquisitive mind as they begin to question their own and Great Houghton’s identity within the world around them.
Our vision is to build a school where openness, honesty, fairness and empathy, together with the development of best practice, ensure all children within our schools receive a first class education. Children are at the heart of all we do. We will provide EVERY CHILD with early help and support to remove barriers to learning and an education that raises aspiration resulting in excellence and enjoyment whilst ensuring that the social, emotional and mental health needs of the whole school community are being met. This will enable all children to fulfil their potential and maximise their life chances.
Our curriculum is based around the needs of our pupils and aims to reduce the barriers which prevent some children achieving age related standards:
- External circumstances impacting on children’s lives in school
- The ability to read precisely and fluently at an early stage
- Limited language acquisition including the understanding of subject specific vocabulary.
We will aim to achieve this by:
- Providing experts to work with children and their families to reduce the impact of home circumstances on children’s ability to learn
- Prioritising the skills of reading and mathematics in the Trust’s curriculum offer to ensure that children are able to transfer and apply skills and knowledge in an inter-disciplinary approach and therefore enabling children to keep up not catch up
- Ensuring that children understand and remember associated curriculum concepts within a rich, broad and balanced curriculum offer and are able to use this vocabulary with fluency and confidence
Our Contract to Sandhill Stakeholders
Language will be at the centre of everything that we will do.
- Introduce new vocabulary on a daily basis to improve our children’s portfolio of the spoken word.
- Instill our love of reading through the use high-quality core texts.
- Expose them to a wide range of genres, authors and cultural backgrounds.
- Share our passion for reading to inspire and develop young learners.
- Give children the skills and knowledge to become confident and fluent readers through the systematic teaching of phonics.
- Show them how reading can unlock a wealth of knowledge.
- Identify our children who need additional support in developing their language and address these needs so they can communicate effectively with their peers no matter what their starting point.
- Reflect on their communication and interaction progress regularly to ensure that any barriers are identified and addressed.
- Constantly develop our approach based on the most recent supporting evidence and research into developing confident learners to offer our children the best possible understanding of their role in the world around them.