Vision and Values
When our children leave Sandhill, they will be fully prepared for the next stage of their learning journey by being the best version of themselves. They will be confident communicators through developing their love of language. Literature will be at the heart of everything that they do as they experience the wider world through the use of high-quality texts. They will have an inquisitive mind as they begin to question their own and Great Houghton’s identity within the world around them.
Our Contract to Sandhill Stakeholders
Language will be at the centre of everything that we will do.
- Introduce new vocabulary on a daily basis to improve our children’s portfolio of the spoken word.
- Instill our love of reading through the use high-quality core texts.
- Expose them to a wide range of genres, authors and cultural backgrounds.
- Share our passion for reading to inspire and develop young learners.
- Give children the skills and knowledge to become confident and fluent readers through the systematic teaching of phonics.
- Show them how reading can unlock a wealth of knowledge.
- Identify our children who need additional support in developing their language and address these needs so they can communicate effectively with their peers no matter what their starting point.
- Reflect on their communication and interaction progress regularly to ensure that any barriers are identified and addressed.
- Constantly develop our approach based on the most recent supporting evidence and research into developing confident learners to offer our children the best possible understanding of their role in the world around them.